Janet Kazmer, MSW is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker specializing in individual, marriage and family therapy for adolescents and adults; consultation/education for a parent or caregiver of a child who is struggling with an emotional, behavioral or psychiatric illness. She maintains a private practice in Cary, NC.
With over 20 years experience as a therapist, and a graduate of Boston University specializing in mental health, she is currently serving as private practitioner working with a broad spectrum of clients. Among her areas of expertise are mood and anxiety disorders, psychosis, stress management, relationship issues, life transitions, communication difficulties, grief and loss, and smoking cessation.
Ms. Kazmer is an interactive, solution-focused therapist. Her therapeutic approach is to provide support and practical feedback to help clients effectively address personal life challenges. She integrates complimentary methodologies and techniques to offer a highly personalized approach tailored to each client. With compassion and understanding, she works with each individual to help them build on their strengths and attain the personal growth they’re striving for.
Education: Boston University - Masters Degree • Clinical Social Work • Boston, MA • May 1995
License: Licensed Clinical Social Worker in the State of North Carolina (LCSW)
Perkins DO, Lesserman J, Jarskog LF, Graham K, Kazmer J, Lieberman JA: Characterizing and Dating the Onset of Symptoms in Psychotic Illness: The Symptom Onset in Schizophrenia (SOS) Inventory. Schizophrenia Research 44 (1): 1-10, 2000.
Perkins DO, Nieri J, Kazmer J: Clinician Interactions with Patients and Families. Comprehensive Care of Schizophrenia, Edited by Lieberman JA and Murray R. Matin Dunitz Publishers, 2001, 121-132.
Past Professional Experience/Employment:
• University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Dept of Psychiatry, Schizophrenia Treatment and Evaluation Clinc
• John Umstead Hospital, Case Manager
• McLean Hospital/Massachusette General Hospital Affiliate, Case Manager, Dept of Psychiatry
• Completion of Level 3 Practicum training in Gottman Method Couples Therapy
• McLean Hospital, Harvard Medical School Teaching Facility • Mental Health Internship
Professional Activities and Memberships:
• Served on Orange County Mental Health Association Board
• Member of the National Association of Social Workers